Friday, May 14, 2004

George W. Bush: Compassion

I have had a blog on Live Journal for about 2 years now. I like it, but I wanted to create something that I would have to take a bit more seriously than that. So I thought I'd start one here, in an attempt to keep it focused on fairly serious things, like getting Bush out of office politics, literature, and the like.

An op ed in yesterday's LA Times, NYU's Lawrence Weschler calls attention to a particular section of George Bush's website. It is a warm and fuzzy section, offering a heartwarming message and pictures of the Commander in Chief posing mainly with black people. It's very weird. Why? Because the heartwarming message is one of compassion. In fact, the section of the site is titled Compassion. Of all the hypocritical, self-aggrandizing PR stunts...

2 comments:

baby-Mon-ique eminqueue Radevu said...

Hey, fellow intelligent person! I discovered you by the liking of Cassandra Wilson that we have in common ...

George, george, george of the bungle ...

I clicked your link to Bushland & plunged into the exotic world of phony compassion; it's VERY ODD that the way one is supposed to "take action on compassion" (rather than actually doing something compassionate like volunteering to tutor disadvantaged kids with reading difficulties, like I did in Seattle) is to write a coached letter to the editor or phone the local talk radio & blather some drivel about how golden & shiny George is & that he "leaves no child behind" - although he can't be bothered to fund the program beyond giving tax $$$ for outside firms (& yes, they're Bush campaign contributors) to do the compulsory testing ... gee, that seems to fit a kind of pattern with these lying pukeweasels ...

anyway, I'm glad to meet you! come visit my brand new blog - it isn't much yet but in a few weeks I hope it will start to reflect my lil gifts ...

"This is Monique Radevu, & I approve this massage! Mmmmmm that's it; a little lower ... AHHH!"

aGreatNotion said...

Monique: I'm glad I've found someone to enjoy my musings.

I also think it's hillarious, and certainly telling, when someone touts compassion but does not act compassionately. Maybe I'm somehow swayed by my interest in Buddishm, but to be compassionate you must act compassionately. Right action, right intention. Spewing principles is not compassion.